I frequently find myself in the scenario of having the
privilege of welcoming a child from a country and culture of which I know
almost nothing. In the past, I have inadvertently
bulldozed over students' and families' cultural sensitivities until I was
forcibly awakened to the fact that different cultures actually have different
perspectives. When we began admitting many Korean families into our
international school and conflict over handling of several discipline and
interpersonal incidents began to increase, the school board sent me and another
administrator to Korea to participate in a special Korean cultural exchange
program. The experience was phenomenal. Gently
and gracefully, we were introduced to Korean values, age posturing, history,
and culture. It revolutionized the way I
interacted with members of the Korean community and gave me a strong empathy
for their perspectives.
In their book, Anti-bias Education for Young Children and
Ourselves (Derman-Sparks, Edwards, & Goins, 2020), the authors advise,
When you honor all children’s cultural identities and
incorporate them into the
daily life of your program, children come to understand that they are safe and welcome—just
the way they are. When you value cultural differences while
appreciating the
similarities everyone shares as human beings, you create a
foundation for
children to thrive in a culturally complex world. To effectively
support
children’s and families’ cultural identities, teachers need to strengthen
their
understanding of the characteristics of culture (p.116).
With this in mind, if a new student was
coming into my kindergarten from a country I was not familiar with, such as
Kurdistan, I would immediately do a search online to find any information about
the type of government, current political situation, some history, and religion. I would reach out to members of the community
who have traveled to Kurdistan to ask them their understanding of cultural practices,
taboos, appropriate greetings for every age posture, and inappropriate body
language. I would prepare the staff with the information as well. The school would already display the flags of
every different nationality represented in the school, so we would gather the
students to officially add another one and teach them how to say hello to the
student in Kurdish so they could greet him when he arrived. Most importantly, before
the child came to the school, I would sit with the family and try to explain
how we greet people, what the expectations are for the parents regarding
meetings, visiting, sending food, etc. I
would encourage the teacher to meet the family, greeting them with a hello in
Kurdish.
I would hope that this would open the soil of the hearts of the current students and the incoming student for a healthy friendship to bloom. I would hope the children and teachers would embrace the child as interesting and accept him instead of seeing him as different and reject him. I hope it would help the new student to relax and feel comfortable in the learning space.
Derman-Sparks, L., Edwards, J. O., & Goins, C. (2020). Anti-bias
education for young children and ourselves. (2nd ed.) Washington, DC: National Association for
the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Julie, I love the idea of learning how to say hello in the new student's home language. I think this would help the new student to feel welcome into the classroom.
ReplyDeleteWow, I love your thinking about welcoming a child from another country into your classroom. All children are exceptional and are preparing face-to-face with the family, which is the best way to share information about yourself and learn class about the entire family of antiquity. Having to display a flag of the children’s country is the best way for a child to feel greeted.
ReplyDelete